Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Perfect, Easy Pie Crust!

I've been asked to post some recipes. I thought I would start with the most basic, and pie crust is probably one of the things I use the most (this one is going to be for one pie crust, so double if you're doing a crust on the top and the bottom).  The trick is keeping the water and butter as cold as possible. What I do is cut a stick of butter in a few pieces and keep in the freezer along with 1/4 cup of water.

In the meantime I throw 1 1/4 cup AP flour and 1/2 teaspoon of salt (you can add the same amount of sugar if you're using this for something sweet) into the food processor with the dough blade. Pulse a couple of times to combine. 

Throw the butter in and pulse until the butter is in small chunks. The key is to work quickly and do not over mix. Pour the water in slowly (you might not need it all) until it forms a ball. If there are dry pieces, it's OK, just pat them together. It's better to under mix a little bit than over do it.

Wrap it up in saran wrap and refrigerate at least 30 minutes, or until you want to use it. 

I use this for quiches, pot pies, tarts, pies, tartlets, crostatas, etc. It's great to have on hand for a quick dinner or dessert.  

No comments:

Post a Comment