Thursday, July 2, 2009

The Best Summer Wine

I was an exchange student in Italy in high school, and went back to visit my host family in 2003.  One day my host dad asked me if I wanted to go wine shopping with him.  They always had those huge jugs that hold 50 bottles of wine, and I just figured we were just going to go a short distance and pick a couple up and come home. I was wrong, we ended up in Piedmont at a winery, tasting every type of wine they made and having the best food I've ever eaten (which to this day has not been topped).  I'm not a huge fan of white wine (or at least I wasn't at the time), but everything was great. I noticed everyone was gathered around one of the vats. I asked what it was and he said it's the rosé. I must have made a face as I was used to the the syrupy stuff I had been served back in the US. He forced it on me, and it was amazing. We bought about 50 bottles worth and came home. Ever since, I've been hooked. I still mostly drink red wine, but there's nothing better on a hot summer's day than a  really good, dry, crisp rose. 

The other night, at a wine tasting I was surprised when they brought out the rosé. Everyone was talking about how they did not like rosés, that they were too sweet, etc. I don't know why they got such a bad rap, but I remember thinking the same thing the first time I tried a really great rosé. 

We can't drive to Piedmont to get it, but have found some great inexpensive rosés that are great. I've also bought a couple recently that weren't so great, but don't let it keep you down. That's part of the fun of trying new wines and it makes it even better when you find a great one.

My favorites this summer so far have A to Z (I get it for $10 at my grocery store) and La Vieielle Ferme (for $8, you can't beat that!) 

Next on my list to try are:  Thomas Winery Acme Wineworks Rose NV, Firesteed Oregon Pinot Noir Rose, Ponzi Vineyards "Rosato" Willamette Valley Pinot Noir Rose.

Brides are always asking how to save money, and a really great pinot noir rosé will save you loads, and is awesome for a summer wedding!

No comments:

Post a Comment